Tuesday, July 10, 2012

10 Movies to Blame for My Romantic Expectations

I am currently a woman that's torn. When it comes to love, I'm walking a fine line. I am one of those women that's been screwed over just enough times to have lost all hope that someone I love will ever have the ability to commit to me. But I've also been pleasantly surprised by people that I love enough times to believe that passionate and crazy love, love that beats insecure and uncertain love up, still exists. In other words, I'm one failed expectation of a lover away from being a cynic. Well, at that point, I'd probably consider it being a realist, but we will cross that bridge if we come to it. And here's hoping we don't...

Regardless of my cynical tendencies, I am 100% a hopeless romantic-type. I know, I know. What twenty-something, single woman is not a hopeless romantic-type, right? It's not my fault. I was born this way. And I actually kind of enjoy it. Sure, it makes my expectations of any love interests a little higher than normal, and my standards a little strict, but if you manage to get through the initiation round, I'm quite the catch myself. I place the same standards on myself in a relationship that I do my significant other. What other way is there to successfully maintain a relationship with someone? 

But enough with my accidental sales pitch for why I'm a 10 out of 10... 

To differentiate from the current state of my love life (which is romantically lacking in basically every way), I will be pulling from every wearing thin romantic bone left in my body in order to bring you the movies that make me want my life to be like a movie. These movies have planted a hope of romanticism in my brain. I, and anyone that I date, can basically blame these 10 (because I could go on forever but no one has the time for that so I limited myself to 10) movies for raising the bar and reminding me that romance does exist, whether you partake in it or not. Take notes.

Titanic. The quintessential romantic movie. Next to Romeo & Juliet, it's Leo's best romantic movie yet (and I don't see any romance in killing yourself, or myself for that matter). The persistence of Jack throughout the movie is something you can only get from movies. Everyone else would have tried once, and then proceeded to party it up with the mice on the lower deck for the entire devastating trip, banging other hot chicks on the boat. But not Jack. He knew what he wanted and went for it. Rose would have been a dumb broad to pass that shit up. She also could have shared that door or whatever it was she was hogging when Jack died, and he might have lived to treat her well for the rest of her horse-riding life. That bitch.



Grease. Probably one of the first movies I ever watched that taught me anything about love. And it's not that you need to pick up smoking and tease your hair to prove your love for someone. It's that YOU'RE A FAKE, AND A PHONY, AND I WISH I NEVER LAID EYES ON YOU! But that aside, it's kinda romantic, and at the very least, this song is fucking catchy. You can't deny that.



Never Been Kissed. As weird as it is that Josie had never been kissed, and now she's suddenly going to be banging a hot teacher, it's still romantic. In a depressing, only happens in the movies, kinda way. BUT this movie does leave me thinking that if Josie can get this with high school pictures like hers, then there's hope for all of us.


Love Actually. Even with her man-face, someone still thought Keira Knightley was "perfect" enough in this movie to throw her a romantic gesture party. All you need is white poster board, a boom-box, Christmas, and some magazine cut-outs. Actually, the entire Love Actually movie is full of romantic gestures. But no one wants to relive that awful scene with Colin Firth speaking REALLY bad Portuguese. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, Google it. You will understand why I picked the man-face over the Portuguese.


10 Things I Hate About You. I'm not entirely sold on the idea that someone who looked like Heath Ledger would have to work so hard to get a date with someone, but he did. And he did it well. Patrick's ability to swoon Kat in this movie is largely based on the way he can slide down that pole and his hot jacket, but I think there's something to be said for not being afraid to express your love for someone with a billion other people around, as well. He doesn't care who knows, and that's the best part. He's not exactly shouting it from the rooftops, but he might as well be. 


Friends with Benefits. Dylan knows that Jamie wanted her life to be like a movie. And he also royally effed up by being a complete asshole. Therefore, he had to do something in order to get her back. He took everything he knew about her and pretty much all of their fun inside jokes and compiled it into one giant romantic ultimatum that she couldn't get out of even if she wanted to. And he basically got it on with her in public afterwards, so that seals the deal.


This Means War. In one of the scenes in the movie, FDR turns down sex with a hot flight attendant because he thinks he's falling for Lauren. This isn't exactly what drives me to be romantic, but THAT scene alone pretty much BEGS for disappointment in real life. No one turns down sex these days. Let's get real. Anyone who does is definitely a romantic.


How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. You don't have to be in advertising to know that white roses will get any job done in terms of being romantic. You just have to watch this movie and/or read this blog, apparently. I know what you are thinking...this entire movie was based on a bet, he only sent her those flowers to get Knicks tickets, blah blah blah. Do you know how this movie ends?! 


The Notebook. Can't have a blog about romance without this movie involved. It's practically a modern girls guide to romance. The fact that Noah built Allie her dream home, even after her crazy Mom forced them apart for years by hiding Allie's snail mail, isn't only romantic, it's also extremely desperate. And you know what? I fucking love it. Don't get me wrong. Not all romantic gestures need to take years to plot out and need to be so drastic. You don't want to miss your opportunity, of course. But all romantic gestures should probably involve a hot, wet (from the rain sicko), and passionate rekindling. 


Dirty Dancing. This movie alone could be to blame for every romantic expectation of all time. Period. Nothing could compare to Johnny's dance moves and stern words about putting Baby in the corner, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try...


No comments:

Post a Comment