Monday, January 27, 2014

I Didn't Know It Was Needed, But In Defense of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Am I the only same-sex oriented person that isn't mad at Macklemore? According to a recent Thought Catalog post, and some not-so-recent-but-still really angry tweets from Le1f (a queer rapper, who knew?), hating on Macklemore because he is a "straight white dude" and he supports equal rights is the new jig. Because THAT makes sense. Since when does speaking out for what you believe in and happen to be passionate about result in a backlash of support? Actually, probably since forever, now that I mention it. It's no secret that you will most likely offend someone by speaking out about an issue. But to be upset over something like THIS is just ignorant, in my opinion.

Now, I say this only from my own knowledge, and I'd like to put it out there that "my own knowledge" doesn't do anyone justice in this sitch. I'm not, by any means, a rap/hip-hop guru, but I like to think that I'm culturally sound and I, at least, know enough to know that I had never even heard of this Le1f rapper until exactly 10 minutes prior to writing this blog. I'm a white lesbian whose CD player currently houses KelClark and a mix of today's Top 20, so to think I would ever get involved in a debate having anything at all to do with rap/hip-hop is a little shy of insane. I had just enough time to search for Le1f on YouTube and Google, and listen to Le1f's song that was apparently "ripped off" for Thrift Shop, and those investigations alone were enough to allow me to make up my mind on the issue. This whole controversy struck a chord with my lesbian ass and I felt, as a complete nobody, I needed to defend Macklemore & Ryan Lewis because, without further need for an explanation, they are doing damn great things for mankind.

I get it. Le1f is the EPITOME of everything Macklemore represents in his song "Same Love." He's an African American gay rapper. But unlucky for Le1f, Macklemore just so happens to be doing a better job at repping that ideal to the public. Not to drop down a few notches on the maturity spectrum, but this entire battle (which seems to be one-sided with no rebuttal from Macklemore in sight) just makes Le1f seem a little butt hurt that he isn't scoring millions of hits on YouTube or snatching up awards left and right. We all know the saying, everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame; it just seems like Le1f is wasting his on making a poor name for himself by fighting a really great, brave thing instead of embracing Macklemore & Ryan Lewis as people that are shedding a positive light on the lifestyles of people JUST. LIKE. HIM.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are not only expressing acceptance of same-sex marriage, interracial couples, and equal rights overall. They are proving that you don't have to BE what you believe in just to make a difference. As a woman that's banking on having the ability to marry my (read: really hot and extremely wonderful but has yet to exist) girlfriend someday, I am so grateful for people like Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, who happen to be largely in the public eye right now, and are using that fame and publicity for a great cause.

Besides, what would this scenario look like if it was the other way around? Two white, straight men shooting down equality and publicizing the idea that it's completely okay to place hate, harsh judgment and legal bans on people that don't possess the same skin color or the same sexual preference. Does that sound like a better alternative?

With that said, let's all - rapper (like Le1f), Project Manager (like me...), gay, straight, bisexual, transgendered, white, black, yellow, spray-tan orange, like everyone, ever - try to pick our battles wisely and be proud to have people in the spotlight that are so open-minded, accepting, and eager to make a difference in the world.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment