Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thought Catalog Copycat: What Happens When You're 26

It's about that time again where I recreate one of my favorite Thought Catalog reads! YAY! I love these. This one in particular, What Happens When You're 26 by Jessica Blankenship, is one of my faves because, well, obviously, I am 26. And I'd be the first to tell you that a mid-life crisis is fucking real, man. Anyone that says differently is lying straight to your face and putting on a brave face for you (isn't that nice?) At 26, as well as with almost any age besides the first few months of being 21, I feel no different than when I was 25, than when I was 24, 23, aaaaaaaaand you catch my drift. With that said, I've found myself facing obstacles and coming to realizations that I wouldn't change even if I had the chance. And just to put the icing on the cake, it's in song titles. Because that's how this bitch rolls.

You're the One That I Want
Twenty-six year olds have, for the most part, had the amazing pleasure of having their hearts shattered, put back together, and broken all over again. Not to mention, by this time, you've probably broken a heart or two, or three, yourself. As shitty as it is at the time, none of this has gone to waste. Every single heartbreak teaches us things. It makes us stronger. It allows us to see our breaking points; what you can handle and what you absolutely won't stand for in a relationship. Most of all, each heartbreak teaches us what we want. What we want and need in a significant other, and who can measure up to those wants and needs and who cannot. Finally, we can have standards and expectations that someone, somewhere, somehow might actually be okay with and exceed because we are, as a generation, slowly but hopefully, moving past our immature years where "sowing our wild oats" is the only goal in sight.

You Find Out Who Your Friends Are
It started Freshman year of college, at least for me, and even though I'm afraid it's a repeat process for the rest of one's life, I feel like at 26, I am finally completely capable of picking and choosing my friends. You realize that even through going away to school, to the weddings, to the babies (or even just the dogs for some), and to anything else that life brings, your friends are there and they are making it known to you. They try to make an effort, and they make time for you in their life. Your friends will do these things. If they aren't doing these things, I'm happy to tell you that you are now in your midtwentiesalmostthirties and you can kick those lame ass friend-wannabe's to the curb. I promise that once you do, once you finally let go, you will be an even better friend to those that deserve you.

Money, Money, Money
It's no secret that money doesn't grow on trees. Nor does it grow anywhere else. Money comes from a paycheck, that comes from a job, that comes from hard fucking work. I mean, unless you are a drug dealer, prefer to live on welfare and other miscellaneous government funding, or you have a significant other that rolls in the dough, you have to work hard and long (That's what she said! Sorry, I couldn't resist) to make money. I probably should have realized this when I got my first job at 15.5 (Taco Bell... impressive, IKR!) but I was a little slow on the uptake. I didn't realize the value of the dollar until my student loans were no longer deferred, I racked up my LOFT credit card, and I bought my own home. All things that have taught me, that no matter how excellent my taste may be, I can't be living a life of luxury on a 20somethings salary. Hi-ho, hi-ho, off to work I go!

Wild Ones/Single Ladies (What? It's a fucking mash up!)
Maybe it's the idea that my thirties are creeping up on me, or the mere fact that I'm single and trying to keep myself as booked up as possible, but I can honestly say that I have lived. it. fucking. up. in my mid twenties! Don't get me wrong, it's been amazing being single and doing me. But it makes me look forward to what's to come in my (hopefully) near future. I've been single long enough to get to know myself, and now I'm roughly about 78.2% prepared to share myself with someone else (EEEEEEEEK. As long as they do what I want to do at least SOMETIMES...). Before we get ahead of ourselves, first, please refer to "You're the One That I Want" above. :D

How Do You Like Me Now 
Not that you are done changing for the rest of your life or something cray cray like that, but at 26, I personally feel like I've really come into my own. This is me. I am who I am, I do what I want to do. I'm free to make my own choices about with whom I spend my time, what it is I do with my time, where I take my next trip, how I spend my money, etc. All of those things that make me who I am have always been there, but I've never felt more comfortable with them, or so certain of them until now. So, how do you like me now? 

That's rhetorical, by the way...

No, really. No need to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment